Let the fun begin

My journey has begun, Routing-Switching & Wireless, there is much to learn and master...

Lao Tzu said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet.". I have allowed my feet to stay still for far to long. It is time to move on, to progress, rise to the occasion.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

1st CWNP Posting

MY first CWNP Posting on my path to being a Wireless Engineer:

My Journey into the depths of understanding wireless and is underway, my books arrived Monday the 26th. I am about to take my IUWNE exam, I know there is more info to learn OK, I am not a writer nor was I a blogger before - so this is a new experience for me, here we go.

Once I learned I was one of the people selected for the CWNP or BUST my house was all excited. Having three children, two cats, a dog and a wife leads to some interesting study habits. Read it when you can; a standard answer is "Yes I am listing to you" while other topics are going throughyour mind. I read two chapter of the CWTS and the same with the CWNA, the combined four chapters I have read so far have been a much easier read than some of the other technical documentations I have read. I am planning on experimenting with 802.11n and b&g signals, doing some packets capturing to see how the beacons, probes and frames are affected. I have a neighborhood to play in so it will be interesting to test things out. While reading through the first two chapters of the CWTS I discovered some things that Iwas not aware of and having completed the first two chapters of the CWNA book the same is true. More technical postings will follow. I am just getting my feet wet so to say.

After having spoken with a few other people via email and on the phone, I am thinking that my study habits may need a little tweaking. I would rather go slower and retain more that rush through and not be able to recall as much.Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to the path before me.

Study gear is an Itouch for a mini sniffer to detect open networks and I am going to hunt around for other tools I can use on it. Laptops are an HPNX9600 and an Apple Mac Book Pro for sniffing, reading, digital flash cards,practice test questions, packet captures... OS are Win7 Pro, Win XP Pro, and Snow Leopard with a fare amount of Linux tools (that I really don't know how to use very well yet, but I will S00N™), There are a several older computers I can/will use to test connections and see about turning one or two of them in to rouge APs - an Ipad for reading/studies, connecting to AP's; going to see if there are tools I can install on it for a portable sniffer or Rouge AP as well... I have a couple out Netgear Wireless APs, Westell D90 AP, alot of routers and switches... no controllers (WLCs). Looking foreword to working with those Cisco 1200 AP's.

I noted several words that ran together after the post was sent to the BloG for posting... some how they did not show up before...very odd. Have to do a pre posting to ensure that does not occur again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers